Monday 7 February 2011

Workshop 2

For our second workshop, we were given A2 pieces of paper to work with. We had to cut it in half lengthways, make a 1.5cm border and then cut lines 1cm apart all the way up the paper. This time we were allowed to tape and glue the paper together.

We then had to manipulate the paper in various ways to create different sculptures. I created 3 different designs which I took home where I could photograph them against a blue background with good lighting.

This is my first sculpture. I focused on curving the paper around. The shape and curvature makes a more organic form making the sculpture reminiscent of a shell.



For my second sculpture I rolled up the paper and taped together alternating segments. It reminded me in a way of a Chinese paper lantern.


For my final design, I folded the paper in half before curving it around. I think this sculpture looks like a sea anenome or a chrysanthemum flower, with each fold looking like a petal.


Paper engineer and architect Yoshnobu Miyamoto from Japan creates many designs, also with similar lines to those I have worked with today. Here are some examples of his work:

 

I like his work as it is very intricate. I also like his use of light in one of the sculptures to create different colours and shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment