Friday 25 February 2011

Workshop 3

For our third workshop, we had to use different shapes and create repeating patterns.

I began by cutting out squares and sticking them together in a row of 8. I then added 3 squares to the left of the 4th square and 4 squares to the right, before sticking them together, creating a rectangular shape. I chose to use squares as they fit together exactly and can create symmetrical shapes.


I was then able to manipulate the design into other shapes.



I then created this shape out of small equilateral triangles. The triangles are similar to the square shape I created as they are regular shapes which all fit together exactly.


 
These shapes remind me of crystal forms. I have decided to focus on natural forms for my final design.



I was also shown how to do laser cutting. We watched a demonstration showing us how to cut out shapes and also etch using lasers onto paper. I think that laser cutting is really good for creating accurate and detailed cut outs and I was amazed at the preciseness of the cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment