Monday 14 March 2011

Task 2 - Final Poster

Here is my final poster. This shows how I experiemented with the poster while photographing it to get the image as I wanted it.


Looking at my poster, I felt that the 100 didn't stand out enough from the background. I was also having trouble photographing it well as there was so much glue on the numbers from sticking in the spirals that there was a lot of glare from the flash. I found a lighter green which I replaced as the background of the 100 and I think this is much easier to see.


I felt that the white background was a bit dull for my poster so I started to experiment with different colours. I found I liked blue the best as it was reminiscent of the sky. However I felt that this blue was too dark...


...and this blue was too light. It looks almost white and doesn't make for a very interesting and eye catching poster.


I felt this blue was just right. It is bold and bright and highlights the tree and the 100 really well.


I added some birds into the sky. I also felt I needed somewhere to put the "Design Museum" and "1-31 July 2011" text, so I added white pieces of paper. These represent real pieces of paper coming out of the tree from where it was made.


I decided against the birds as I felt they made the image too busy.


I was pleased with this and able to now add the rest of the text. The 100 is much more in focus than the tree trunk which I think makes it stand out. I think the shadow around the tree helps to bring more attention to the "100" in the centre.


The font I added is bold and simple which I think reflects the brand of the company. I think that the tree looks quite rural whereas the "100" is quite stylish, showing the varity of uses the paper has.

 I am fairly pleased with this final piece as I think the important parts of the message are really clear and easy to understand. The tree is quite attractive and the colours are eye catching. The different paper techniques used reflect the diversity of paper and the qualities of the company.  

I think that when the poster was printed at A2 size, it lost some of the finer detail and appeal. I think I could have improved this by making the sculpture bigger, therefore then being able to fit more detailed and intricate patterns inside the "100" text. Also, the paper sheets seem too flat meaning that the place and date text doesn't stand out as much as I wanted it to.

If I had more time I would make the paper sheets coming out of the tree more curved and 3D to make them look as if they were flying from the tree.

Overall, I found this project fairly hard as I have never worked much in 3D design and I found it difficult to include the high level of detail I wanted. I definitly think I am better suited to 2D work. However, it was interesting to try out things I hadn't done before and learn new techniques, especially learning more about the cameras and photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment