Tuesday 8 March 2011

Task 2 ideas

The brief for task 2 is:

Respond to this brief employing the techniques acquired during Skills Task 1 . You are asked to design and construct a poster celebrating 100 years of GF Smith Paper Company.

Explore paper in all its forms - fold, score, cut and construct using a variety of paper stock to develop and create your poster designs. Consider how photography can be used to compose and frame your paper constructions. Be as inventive and creative as possible - what can you construct that celebrates the multitude of uses paper has.

I have looked at GF Smith to see what their brand is like.


They seem to use very simple text in the majority to their designs so I will do this too for the final poster.

When thinking of paper, the first thing that comes to my mind is trees, as paper is created from them. Therefore I will try to create a design representing a tree to link to the 100 years of GF Smith Paper. The image of a tree also suggests age, maturity, permanence and stability.  These are all qualities that would reflect well on the company. The tree also links with the floral/organic theme from task 1 which I would like to develop further in this task.
I have looked at images of trees to see how I could incorporate them into my final design.




I have also looked at trees created by designers such as these:


This is a paper tree created as packaging by designer Changzhi Lee. I like the way the tree pops up from the page. It is very detailed with intricately cut leaves and roots.


This is by designer Oskar Alvarado. I really like the use of realistic colour in this and I think it works much better than using just white. I also like the contrast between the spikey shape of the branches and the circular leaves.


This was made by Judy Morrow. I like the colours in this too, as they are very realistic. However, I feel they seem slightly more washed out and do not stand out as well as the previous image. I like the shape of the tree; the roundness of it would give a good frame for text.


No comments:

Post a Comment